FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a film about food issues in the United States of America?
FOOD INSECURITY: A film about food insecurity focuses on the daily conditions and obstacles working Americans living in poverty – the working poor – face in accessing sufficient and nutritious food for themselves and their families. The film may present possible solutions, or include discussion around food deserts and food waste.
FOOD WASTE: A film about food waste addresses the monumental levels of lost and wasted food in production and consumption food systems and the practices that perpetuate this reality.
FOOD QUALITY: A film about food quality explores what’s in our food, what goes into making it, and why we choose to eat what we eat. We want to hear about sustainability as well as nutritional content and health impact.
Some examples of what we consider relevant films:
- Marginalized individuals, families and communities
- Alternative food choices for families living in poverty
- Children’s eating habits
- Food waste or quality in America
- Societal beliefs about food insecurity issues
- Food insecurity and its relationship to the environment and sustainability
Is there a particular genre that we won’t accept?
Films can be documentary, narrative, or animation. We love to watch films that take a fresh and creative approach to addressing issues around food and food access.
What about duration?
Films can be any length up to 40 minutes.
What are the deadlines for the submissions?
- May 18, 2016 Open call for submissions
- September 29, 2016 Regular Deadline
- October 9, 2016 Shortlist Announced, Online viewing starts
- October 14, 2016 Film Festival Date, Winners announced at NYU’s Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute
What awards are being given out?
- Best Narrative
- Best Documentary
- Best Animation
- Hannah Laufer-Rottman Award for the best film made by someone directly affected by food issues
- Mario Batali Foundation Award for the best film made by someone under 18
How much does it cost to submit?
Almost free – $3! Email us for a waiver.
I am under 18. Can I still submit my film to FOH?
You certainly can. Please contact us if you have any questions.
I still have questions! Who can I contact?
If you have any questions, whether about our terms and conditions or submission process or selection criteria, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
I want to attend. What do I need to do?