In looking at TippyTap, a wonderful site that provides tools for how to build a simple handwashing system, I was inspired to write this post.
As we fight against poverty we are reminded that the apparently simple act of washing one’s hands, which many of us perform several times a day, has the potential to be truly transformational in the context of a developing country – in a state where often feelings of hope and expectations have been totally abandoned.
The simple gesture of hand washing can have a series of profound impacts:
- A message of hope: I am doing something for myself, that is going to help me be healthier
- Leading to a re-establishent of a sense of dignity
- Therefore, something good can actually happen to me
- Therefore, something might change in my life
- A boost to one’s ego immediately raises the level of expectations from life.
We have a very different attitude when we expect something out of life. It leads to an active versus a passive way of living.